Saturday 7 July 2018

Lost and found: The story of a Grand Day Out! And the terrors of losing ones phone....



070717
A brilliant day. And a terribly nerve wracking one. ..
It started with a ferry ride to Cawsand and on the boat I met a lively group of phd workers at a marine lab. One was french, another German. Emily, Mike, forgot the others. They were going kayaking and we chatted the whole ferry ride there. 
Off the boat I pick up a local map in a small souvenir shop and go up to explore towards Rames head a little way for a view and following the butterflies.  It was lovely; little neat but rugged footpaths through the trees and past small dwellings. At the vista I met Scott and another bloke, who'd driven up in there van and were enjoying the scene. Scott is interesting and loves nature too. After a long pause to take in the sea, I return to Cawsand for coffee and lunch before setting off for cremyl. 
Before getting out of Cawsand Village I stop in another small shop and buy a sand animal lizard I had once.... although I was only going in for directions! The shop lady points me to the coast path on a map.
"It's a long way", she says and almost seems to try and talk me out, pointing at the shorter route by the main road.... no thanks! "Ive got all day," i assure her, "that's what I came out with my camera for."
The coast path is beaut but hard going. A lovely walk and meeting lots of friendly faces. I tag along with one group out for the weekend. One girl from Bedfordshire and another, both graduates in writing and Graphics design.  We chat for a time before I fall behind photographing painted ladies and meadow browns. When I finally catch up I come to Folly Head, a small tumbledown vantage point. The group have climbed to the top so I go to meet them. It's not far now to Mount Edgcumbe house, they tell me. So, feeling I'd walked quite enough, I left them standing and went on my way.
Near to the end I am close to the ferry and following sign posts. I'm just on time (So i thought) for the Barbican ferry (correction: i had looked at the Cremyl ferry that goes to Stonehouse. Cutting down a grassy hill momentum makes me jog a little down the hill.
I get to the ferry... But this ferry goes somewhere further from home... ok I can get a bus, I decide. On the other side I am lucky to pick up a bus straight away. I fall and sink in to the back seat, it's hot but I'm relieved for the weight off my feet. Trundling down the road I close my eyes, exhausted, achy, but feeling bright and happy after such a brilliant day. I fancy getting home to my flat, with time to spare to sort all my photos, freshen up, and maybe even ambling up to the Hoe for a time to speak with Nana, who phones me every day, enjoying the sun in the breeze.
On that thought, I go to fish out my phone from my bum bag and... come off empty handed.... MY PHONE!! And I only just got it yesterday!
*I have never felt such a rush of adrenelyn... it really hurt, it practically shot through all the veins in my body at once and, like some powerful drug, all feeling went away, no longer exhausted, no longer boiling hot, my weighty bag with my camera became light as a feather.
"STOP!! STOP STOP STOP! "I run to the front of the bus and the driver, looking horrified pulls up and lets me off before I break the door down. I sprint back to the ferry - he has just nearly chucked the line and gone as I yell and wave down the road and dive back on.
"My phone! I have to go back!" I yell.  He doesn't question it.
Back at Mt Edgcumbe I speak to the lady I bought the ticket from saying "I have to find my phone please remember me? Can u remember me?" . She is kind and wishes me luck.
I run back to the hill where it must have fallen in my downhill shambles. What took 10 minutes takes 2 and I praise HALLELUJAH! !! When there it is lying in the grass.
...then I have little time to get the ferry that actually takes me to the Barbican.. A good thing too as I spent all my bus fare.
Back at the ferry the lady asks for 1.50 for the different ferry.... I breakdown in front, "please that was the last of my money to get home.".
"Well then u didn't take out enough to get yourself home." She replies.
"Please! I found my phone, I've had enough of a panic as it is. Please can I ask u this big favour."
"Favour for what?" She asked.
"For getting me home...", I beg.
"Ok ill talk to the driver when he gets in".
In the end I got on the ferry and put my feet up in the shade and draft of the doorway. After a time I am more aware of another lady, short, blonde and also looking tired sitting next to me, almost mirroring. "Have you had a long day too?" I ask. She smiles a bit, "yes, a nice day". She'd been to see friends at Royal William Yard and was on her way home too. We get chatting and turns out her firefly tattoo on her shoulder was done at the same place as my latest ink - Living Art Tattoo in the city center. She is a mum with older teens who "do their own thing", allowing her the freedom to enjoy a day out with friends. It seemed we were both in the same boat (literally) having had a good but tiring day.
We arrived at the Barbican and I was thoroughly spent... but in high spirits having had a brilliant day and recovering my phone. Although at a cost, I felt quite sick and was shaking terribly.  I am not doing ANYTHING ELSE today! I thought, I am gong to find a shady place to chill out before  answering nana's call and returning home for a long cool shower.
As it happened, that shady spot was straight off the ferry and in to the Boathouse cafe, a lovely large glass-covered open conservatory, bright and with a gentle breeze blowing through. After freshing in the ladies, I order a latte and collapse at a small table to await Nana's phone call. Nana, though, had other plans at a family BBQ so for once the phone didnt ring - thats ok, i knew where she was and would catch up later by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment